Sunday, July 8, 2012

Point of Contention: Squirrel's Nest

Over the past couple of weeks, I've been forced into some unsavory "arguments" in my front yard with a squirrel. The scene is always set in the same way: I'm lying in my hammock (see photo here), enjoying the stupendous outdoors, and a squirrel comes and sits high up in one of the oak tree's trunks and starts barking at me. 

And barking. And barking. 

And I stare at it. And it barks some more. And I stare. And it eventually moves further up the oak tree trunk (as it continues to bark at me), and we stare at each other until it finally shoots up the tree and jumps across to another and leaves. 

And for the longest time I thought: "What an jerk." Because, really, what was I doing to him/her/it? I was just lying in my hammock, minding my own business, reading my books or perusing the web on my laptop. Innocuous, innocent, unobtrusive. 

Until the afternoon that I chanced to gaze straight up from my supine position in the hammock.

Take a look: 
 Look closer...
 Now look closest.
That tree trunk you see is directly next to my hammock (in fact, it is the very trunk from which one of my hammock's ends hangs). That tangled knot of twigs and leaves and who knows what else that you see in the background of the photo(s) is a squirrel's nest. And, gathering from all the barking and glaring and staring and "arguments", is the squirrel nest of my little rodent foe.

I feel bad.

Said trunk is the the one from which said squirrel must climb to reach it's home.

I feel bad, but clearly not so bad that I abandon the hammock. And that makes me feel worse -- like some kind of horrible stealer of territory, a colonialist of front yard space, a neighborhood conquistador... But, you know what?

Whatever. It's a squirrel. It's an oak tree. It's a hammock. Let's all just get along.


0 comments: