Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Kitchen (mis)Adventure: Octopus Toast

I had a truly decadent and wonderful dinner at home Sunday night, and it was made all the better -- because I'm a lazy person -- due to the fact that I basically didn't have to do any cooking whatsoever. 

I mean, toasting toast and puréeing vegetables don't actually count as cooking, do they?
I've been hoarding two cans of imported (Spanish) baby octopus, packed in olive oil, that I bought at the Westside New Leaf in Santa Cruz a couple of months ago. They cost me millions of dollars (not really, but you know what I mean), and I've been waiting for a special occasion to crack them open. Well, Sunday evening rolled around, Jason was out,* and I decided that that night was the night (I only opened one can though, I'm a hoarder after all).
I made myself a nice batch of basic gazpacho, and toasted two pieces of bread. I slathered one in hummus and left the other one plain for the bowl of baby octopus I prepared with magic parsley from the St. John's Eve herb garden and lots of lemon juice. EXQUISITE. 

Kitchen (mis)Adventure success! I enjoyed it all before a lovely Skype date with Sarah T, after which I instantaneously crashed out while watching the opening credits to an old episode of Bones on Hulu. JUST ANOTHER PERFECT SUNDAY EVENING.

***

* Jason loathes, loathes, loathes seafood, which I find disappointing and am trying to slowly remedy. We're still working on tuna and (small) shrimp, so I knew that octopus would be way too much way too soon. ALL THE MORE FOR MEEEE. 

0 comments: