Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Rooms (and a beach chair) With A View

I really do love my little office on campus. It has crazy blue retro carpeting, a matching blue filing cabinet (locked, and missing the keys, unfortunately... it's purely decorative now), and has, what seems like, all the original furniture and shelving from when the building was first built in the late 1960s.

The best part, though, is the big plate glass window running along the outer wall, just below the ceiling.  I took the photo above last Friday, looking up while seated in front of my laptop at my desk. What a view, right? Redwoods and a bright patch of sky right outside the window. This is Santa Cruz (and the university campus) at its best.

Last Friday was, of course, every campus educator and employee's least favorite holiday: 

4/20. 

This year, it formed part of a trifecta of awesome (or awful, depending on how you see it, of course): 

1. 4/20
2. Friday
3. The first day of absolutely gorgeous, high 70s, clear skies of the spring

This is a recipe for lots and lots and lots of tourists from out of town, both on campus at the university,  and downtown and at the boardwalk and beaches. Which brings a lot of traffic, people driving poorly, and young people wandering in and out of the street, super high and super stupid. I see it as awful. I also sound like an old person. 

I'm not that old. I'm just over it.


I wasn't going to let the stoned tourists ruin it for me completely, though, so a friend and I went out for a post-work drink at the only place we could think of that wouldn't be over-run by out-of-towners and students. The bar of the super fancy hotel at the foot of the wharf. Nice view, as you can see. 

The following day was brighter and shinier and warmer, and Santa Cruz was just clogged to capacity with people from over the hill. I drove into town with Roscoe to go to the dog beach, but ended up driving north out of town on highway 1. I drove until I saw the first beach with space for a dog to run and play, over the county line, past Año Nuevo State Park. I drove all the way to Bean Hollow. 


We spent a lovely afternoon on the beach. I took this photo right before we left, just as the fog was rolling in from the sea. Perfect Brontë beach weather at the end of a visit to my favorite California Gothic beach. I got to drive the extra 5 minutes north to Pescadero and pick up a loaf of Arcangeli Grocery's famous artichoke bread, too. A successful Saturday drive to the dog beach.  

2 comments:

method and things said...

This is my second attempt at leaving a comment. I must be doing something wrong... Well, previously I had said that I particularly appreciate these photos. The light and colors. The last one seems almost digitally altered. If there ever was a moment of origin, I imagine that any one instance of the world's coming into being looked just like this. I love the colors of the first photo, and the framing window makes the moment look just like a scene in a movie. Would love to try some of that artichoke bread!

arantxa said...

Thank you, E! (I'm so happy that you decided to try commenting a second time!) The last photo was taken at that Central Coast "witching hour" when the fog rolls back from the ocean just as the sun begins to set. I was just in the right place at the right time. If you roll over "Arcangeli Grocery's..." in the post, you'll expose the link to the grocery's website -- I think you can order "half-baked" artichoke bread over the internet! If not, Pescadero is under an hour down the coast from San Francisco, might be worth an afternoon excursion.