Monday, May 28, 2012

Kitchen (mis)Adventure: Fresh Hummus, Sad Carrots

There's nothing easier than whipping together a plate of hummus. Well, sure there is, but so it seems. I made the latest batch below late last week with my trusty Osterizer blender (it's older than I am!) and my also trusty copy of How To Cook Everything. I followed Mark Bittman's basic recipe and then added to it as I blended. I ended up using twice the prescribed amount of lemon juice, lots of pepper, and smoked paprika. It still turned out a little on the bland side (sad), but I prefer even bland hummus made fresh to the store-bought kind*. Next time I'll cut back on the tahini, which ended up being too overpowering, and try a couple other things to pack in the flavor -- pine nuts blended in as well? Vinegar? Can you add vinegar to hummus? Something was missing, but what I cannot say. 
We were super busy gallivanting around and adventuring last week, so I didn't get a chance to enjoy my hummus until yesterday afternoon. I pulled out a bag of carrots and started munching away as I worked at the computer. 

Something was off. I knew that the hummus wasn't the most exciting I'd ever made, but there was something... wrong. I chewed and chewed and chewed and frowned and started to feel something sinister and strange as I looked down at the bit of carrot in my hand. It was weathered and shriveled and unhappy. The carrots were stale. I couldn't even remember buying the bag, they'd been sitting in the back of the veggie crisper in the fridge for so long. They tasted like sad, little desiccated pieces of cardboard. There was no life left in those pale and dry roots. I threw them away. SO SAD. 

Speaking of gallivanting, here's a photo from last week. Carlos and Claudia came to visit, and we ended up putting over 150 miles on my car and over 450 miles on a friend's car with all our adventuring, seeing about a quarter of the California coast in the process. Super fun, super exhausting, and super sunburnt and happy. 
Savannah-Chanelle Vineyards, Santa Cruz Mountains, photo by Claudia
* Jason begs to differ. Next time, he can make the hummus.

0 comments: